Friday, April 24, 2020

When It Seems So Dark, And Hard To See God – The Moon Is Always Round


I’m writing in the fourth week of Michigan’s “Stay Home, Stay Safe” directives in the COVID-19 pandemic.  There have been some deaths in our congregation and I can’t sit with the family.  There is COVID in an area care facility, and I can only speak with my congregation members by phone.  Nationally, this afternoon there were over 860,000 cases and more than 46,350 deaths.  I can hardly imagine what this virus will do among the poor in Third World nations.

The night seems so dark, and it seems so hard to see God.  But the moon is always round.

I’m reminded of a powerful children’s book by that title.  It is the true story of a dad helping his two-year-old son (and himself, and me) understand the stillborn death of his expected sister. 
“When I waited at the hospital to meet my little sister .  .  .  and we left without her, I asked, ‘Why, Daddy?’  And he replied, ‘I don’t know why.  But the moon is always round.”
 The situation is different for me right now, but the message is just as timely, and just as powerful.

My thanks to publisher New Growth Press and for the Gibson family for letting us into their lives during this COVID time to let Ben – now old enough to read – read the book for us, and let us look over his shoulder at the illustrations.  CLICK HERE to do that, or click on the image above.  

I first stumbled on this story by way of this video: Dad Jonny Gibson – also a professor at Westminster Theological Seminary I Philadelphia – gives the backstory on their family’s circumstances.  CLICK HERE for that story. 

And to get a mother's perspective, I recommend Jackie Gibson's post Why We Need a Children's Book on Death by CLICKING HERE.

The book is available in the Harderwyk Church Library when we are all able to get back together.  Thank you Deb Whitbeck for having this great book available to all of us for check out.  CLICK HERE to reserve it.

Finally, you can order this book for yourself. It is worth having, for yourself, for neighbors for family.  It’s a book with profound theological substance presented in an understandable and unforgettable manner.  Here are three different sources:

No comments:

Post a Comment