Thursday, July 16, 2020

Good Examples: What Christian Pursuit of Racial Reconciliation Can Look Like

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. - Philippians 4:8 (NIV)

I’ve spent time this week - as I promised in a previous blog post - trying to break out in more detail the difference I see between “Black Lives Matter” as a sentence, which I would strongly support, and the organization, which I’m much less positive about.  CLICK HERE for that blog.  It has not been hard to identify the problems – in my mind they are glaring – but it has been discouraging.

As a result, let me take the direction of Philippians 4:8 and point to an inspiring current example of a believing Christian working faithfully on matters of racial reconciliation and justice in our country:  Bryan Stevenson, and the organization he founded, the Equal Justice Initiative.

Take time to watch the movie about his early work in the film titled ”Just Mercy.”  We saw it on Netflix and were inspired.  We’ll be listening to his book by that name when we drive to be with family in a few weeks.  In the meantime, I’ve been reading articles by him, interviews of him and viewed presentations by him.  He has been helpful and inspiring, solidly grounded in his Christian faith.  I would say that he is a good example of dealing with an issue from a biblical and gospel-centered worldview.

In addition, I would highly recommend the book One Blood by John Perkins.  Dr. Perkins has been an influence on my life since my college years.  This may well be his last book, so it sums up, crystallizes and clarifies what he has learned across a lifetime of fruitful ministry.  His early story and conversion are chronicled in Let Justice Roll Down.  It’s a great read.  Again, this is what an authentically biblical and gospel-centered life looks like in pursuit of racial reconciliation.

All of these books are in or on their way to the Harderwyk Church library, so whether you buy or borrow, read or listen, take time to “think about such things” because both of these men are excellent and praiseworthy.

And if you would like to pursue further conversation, then contact me through the church, and let's talk.  I would be anxious to listen and consider, as well as dig deeper with you into my own reading.  

Here are some resources that were helpful to me:

The following linked content is provided for your personal reflection and consideration. The views expressed do not necessarily reflect the exact opinions or positions of Celebration or Harderwyk Ministries.

Amazon Book links to:

Movie Review of Just Mercy – with two bonus film reviews! – on TheGospelCoalition.org

  • Oscar Ignored These 2019 Films. Christians Shouldn’t.CLICK HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment