Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Best Sermon EVER! This Past Sunday

Yesterday – Sunday, January 24 – we had to cancel Celebration's worship service on short notice, but I still heard one of the best sermons EVER!  CLICK HERE if you want to hear it as well.  I strongly encourage you to find 40 minutes and listen.  It is gold and worth your attention.

The Whole Story

Boy, was I disappointed yesterday when we were not able to meet or even livestream our worship services because of COVID exposures and positives among my co-workers.  It was a good decision for health reasons, and I am fully supportive.  But you folks of Celebration know me:  I love being together, worshipping in whatever setting is safe and preaching the Gospel of God’s Grace!

So, Mary Lynn and I were there at home with the snow on Sunday morning considering how best to honor God on His sabbath.  Long story short: among several things, we listened together to a sermon by Tim Keller called “Meditation.”  It was the beginning in a series about Spiritual Formation called Psalms: Disciplines of Grace that he preached on April 7, 2002.  Yes – that’s “2002.”  But God used it to alter my “2020!”

So  .  .  .

CLICK HERE to hear the entire 40-minute sermon.

CLICK HERE it watch a recent 8-minute YouTube video made during the COVID lockdown in New York City where he summarizes a portion of the sermon material.  Bonus: you will get to hear from his wife Kathy on this video as well.

CLICK HERE for a letter from Martin Luther – yes, the 16th century reformer – to his barber about prayer.  Dr. Keller refers to this in his sermon.

CLICK HERE for a blog post by an author I do not know, but who helpfully lays out with pictures the process for meditation that Dr. Keller mentions learning from Martin Luther.

CLICK HERE to email and let me know if you have other questions or ideas.

For Next Sunday, January 31: Because we have more time for planning and preparation, Harderwyk will indeed have an online worship option.  We are waiting for a number of test results to figure out how to do that most safely and what form that will take.  But I look forward to seeing you again next Sunday, either onsite or online as we determine later in the week.

In the meantime, join me and hear one of the best sermons I’ve ever heard.  We all need this one.

Grace Abounding,

Pastor Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment