Tuesday, July 5, 2022

My Own Reflections On The Dobbs Decision Overturning Roe v Wade

There has been sooooooo much WRITTEN and shouted about the recent Dobbs decision by the Supreme Court that overturned the Roe v Wade decision and returned the legal matter of abortion to the legislatures of the various states.  What more could I add?  Why would I even want to engage the noise?

Those are reasonable questions.  What I will do for my congregation and any others interested is share some of the most helpful resources that I have come across lately for informing my thought and prayers in the hope that it will be helpful for you as well.


The Supreme Court Decision - Dobbs v Jackson Women's Heath

It is free and accessible for download if you CLICK HERE.  It is also 213 pages.  BUT I found it actually very readable, even if it is long.  It is clearly written and laid out, enough so, that I found the time I put in it to be helpful and worthwhile.  Even if you just read a few pages, it seems reasonable to encourage everyone to look at the decision itself, and not just someone's opinion about someone's opinion about someone else's opinion about what another person said about something they have not read anyway.


How To Respond To A Colleague Mourning Roe

At this stage of my life, I am painfully aware that I usually need the MOST help when I am engaging a person whose convictions and opinions differ from mine.  This post by The Gospel Coalition was helpful for my weakness, my prayers and my thinking.  CLICK HERE


Sixty Questions For Pro-Choice Christians

I would consider myself a "Pro-Life" Christian, but these questions really helped me stop and consider WHY I am pro-life and what that might mean.  I appreciate writers who help me think more deeply about things I often grow to assume.  Honestly, I am not sure that my pro-choice friends would want to ponder these questions at this moment - that's why I put the "Mourning Roe" post earlier - but this is a resource that served to clarify and renew my heart and thinking.  CLICK HERE


EPC National Leadership Team issues statement on U.S.Supreme Court ruling on Roe v. Wade

Our Heavenly Father has placed us in the church so that we can navigate life in community under the authority of the Spirit speaking through the words of the Bible.  This is a helpful statement from the leadership team of the Evangelical Presbyterian Church, the denomination with which I am ordained and accountable to.  CLICK HERE for the three-page statement.


Let's Talk Some More

As always, if I have sparked something that you would like to follow up on, please call the Harderwyk Ministries office and let's arrange to talk more - whether over the phone, over coffee or even several conversations.  Grace Abounding!




No comments:

Post a Comment