Thursday, October 1, 2020

Harderwyk Gospel Meditation

Because of what Jesus did on the cross for me and for all humanity, I am not my own, but instead, by the working of His grace, I am a deeply loved and fully-adopted Child of the Great Creator-King.

Jesus has loved me first, and loved me as I am right here and right now, not as I should be or could be. He has also given the Holy Spirit to work in me, transforming me day-by-day into His likeness. 

In that way, Jesus increasingly works through me as He brings about the restoration and reconciliation of all creation.  Holy Spirit, help me to believe this and increasingly see the evidence of Your work in my life, values and actions.

__________________________________________________________


In June of 2019, Harderwyk invited Dr. Bill Senyard to lead our staff through a time of vision, strategy and learning.  During that time, Bill challenged us to write down our understanding of the "Simple, Uncluttered Gospel" to enable us to reflect on just how cluttered or uncluttered our understanding actually was.  It was a great exercise.

I was so revved up that I took mine and began to think about it as a local expression of the Simple, Uncluttered Gospel for me at Celebration as their pastor.  I got feedback, input and editing from a number of people as it developed and by late summer, we began to use it regularly in our worship with the name "Harderwyk Gospel Meditation."

Update - June 7, 2022

At our Celebration Worship Service this Sunday we will introduce a a new hymn based on the Harderwy Gospel Meditation written and composed by Celebration member John Swierenga.


Because of the Cross

1. I am a child adopted by God, and in Him I rest.

And deeply loved, and wondrously blessed, his name I profess.


Refrain

Because of the cross, I'm  never lost, forever redeemed.

I'm not my own, but be-long to  you, my Savior and King.


2. Just as I am, right here and right now transforming me.

His Spirit working, helping me see, His likeness to be.


3. He reconciles and restores Creation, working through me.

Grace He bestows, in me it flows for others to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment